The Home Building Advocacy Service (HoBAS) is funded by the NSW Office of Fair Trading for consumers who have building disputes. The program assist the Government to achieve its consumer protection and social justice policy objectives.
HoBAS is a free, state-wide, advisory service.
HoBAS is primarily a telephone legal advice service although some clients are eligible for:
- legal advice appointments,
representation at the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).
HoBAS is means and merits tested. Preference is given to disadvantaged consumers who are elderly, have a proven disability, live in a rural area and/or have English as their second-language.
HoBAS can help you:
- If you have not been successfull in resolving your building dispute through the NSW Fair Tradiing Dispute Resolution process and have been referred to NCAT,
- If you need advice on defective and incomplete work,
- If you need general advice on contractual disputes, inlcluding: variations/adjustments, progress payments, delay and termination,
- If your property has damage caused by a builder/tradesperson,
- If you need information about NCAT's processes and procedures,
- If you need advice on the preparation of evidence for NCAT,
- If you need help with advice on NCAT appeals,
- If you need to transfer proceedings from the court system to NCAT,
- If you need general advice on Home Building Compensation Fund cover )previously known as Home Warranty Insurance, WHI).
HoBAS cannot help you:
- With a dispute if you have not been through NSW Fair Trading Dispute Resolution Service.
- If you are a Builder or Tradesperson.
- If you are an Owner Builder.
- If you live in a Strata scheme and the dispute involves common property or structural defects.